Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the Maritime Studies program?

To be admitted to the Maritime Studies program you must complete the regular University of Connecticut application process. To receive a UConn application, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 2131 Hillside Road, U-88, Storrs, CT 06269 or call (860) 486-3137. Students may access the application online if they choose at For questions regarding general admission to University of Connecticut, visit call the above phone number for assistance.

What type of housing is available?

At Avery Point, housing is available through a local apartment complex. Please call (860) 405-9026 for more information.

Where is the Avery Point campus located?

The Avery Point campus is located in Groton, Connecticut, on Long Island Sound. To reach the campus, take I-95 to Exit 87, Route 349/Clarence B. Sharp Highway. Turn right at second traffic light and then left at next traffic light onto Benham Road. Proceed 1.5 miles to the entrance to the University of Connecticut/Avery Point campus.

Can I do a Study Abroad program?

Yes, you can choose to spend either a semester or a year in a Study Abroad program. Avery Point offers Study Abroad on the south coast of Portugal in a uniquely interdisciplinary program.

Can I arrange for a tour?

Yes, we offer several options for a tour of the Avery Point campus. Depending on the day and time, you can choose to tour the campus, meet a Maritime Studies faculty member, attend a class, attend a lecture, and meet some Maritime Studies students. Email to arrange an appointment.

What about financial aid?

Tuition for UConn students depends on place of residence. Students living in Connecticut or in New England pay lower tuition than students living outside of New England. For a complete list of tuition and fees for all students, visit the UConn tuition page. For information regarding this as well as questions about scholarships and other forms of financial aid, contact the office at (860) 486-2819, email, or visit their web site at